Related Special Sections
At the conclusion of day 16 (April 10th) of the military campaign in Yemen (Operation “Decisive Storm”) Coalition Forces’ spokesman Saudi Brig. Gen Ahmed Asiri provided a briefing on developments. Here is a report from SPA along with a link to General Asiri’s (video) interview with CNN. [Note: Operation “Decisive Storm” is also called “Determination Storm” in some translations.]
Brig. Gen. Ahmed Asiri Confirms, in today’s briefing, Continuation of Air Operations
Riyadh, Jumada II 21, 1436, Apr 10, 2015, SPA — Brig. Gen. Ahmed bin Hasan Asiri, consultant at the minister of defense’s office and spokesman of the Coalition Forces, said that the air operations are continued, stressing that the work methodology concentrates on supporting the People’s Committees and the army elements supporting the legitimacy on the ground.
In his daily press briefing held today at Riyadh Airbase, Brig. Asiri said that the goals of the air phase have not changed, but the proportion of air operations is changed, ‘the air operations are focused now on the Houthi brigades which are against the legitimacy,’ he added.
Brig. Asiri also confirmed that the operations are focused on military communication stations inside the camps and Houthi gatherings either on military bases or in the Saada and Imran, pointing out that operations targeted 125th and 115th brigades in the vicinity of Aden.
‘The coalition forces also targeted ‘Glory’ and 17th Brigades in the area of Bab al-Mandab and ‘Al-Swadiah’ in Bidhaa in addition to gatherings of personnel and vehicles in Saada,’ Asiri said.
Brig. Asiri confirmed that the ‘Giants’ and 310th brigades in Sana’a and a municipal complex (local council) in Dar Saad were attacked, ‘one of the stadiums in Aden was attacked yesterday because it was used by the Houthi militias in storing ammunitions and transferring supply materials,’ Asiri added.
Brig. Asiri said that the coalition forces received information disclosing that the Houthi militias used schools to store weapons and supply materials and they bombed sites after they are expelled, ‘the Houthi aim is to harm the infrastructure and citizens through using the schools, sports stadiums and civil institutions,’ he added.
Asiri added that the situation in Aden has not changed, stressing that the militia activities in the past 24 hours are decreased in Aden in comparison with Shabwa.
‘The coalition forces carried out air operation in Ateq for supporting the People’s Committees and the tribes in addition to operations in ‘Baidhaa’, Shabwa and in the vicinity of Dalea to support the resistance on the ground,’ Asiri said, pointing out that food supplies and relief aid were dropped yesterday in Shabwa and Aden.
Brig. Asiri added that the coalition forces attacked directly yesterday command building in Saada and a site of anti-aircraft.
‘We followed the Houthi movements in order to prevent them putting people’s lives at risk. Most of the cities in Yemen now are suffering from a shortage in fuel,’ Asiri said, confirming that the militias prohibit fuel to the citizens.
Brig. Asiri stressed that the Houthi militias are trying to move in rough roads because the air operations are existed continuously in the Yemeni airspace.
Brigadier General Ahmed Asiri was interviewed by CNN reporter Becky Anderson.
Click here for post with embedded video.
‘We confirmed that targeting the infrastructures is not a good act and it is not among the goals of the campaign, however, military actions necessitate likewise operations to prevent the Houthi militias of using them to prolong their rebellion,’ Brig. Asiri said, adding that the land operations continue as usual as all movements along the Saudi border are monitored.
‘Naval operations are going as a relief lunch was given a hand in the last days in Aden while two other Red Cross aircrafts have landed in Sana’a carrying medical supplies, crews and relief shipments,’ Asiri said, pointing out that the mission is how to deliver these aid to the Yemenis while the Houthi militias and their loyalists are controlling the airport and making difficult for both relief works and committees endeavor to deliver aid to the citizens.
Click for larger image.
Asiri added that delivering assistance to the regions under control of the People’s Committee is going smoothly, ‘we are in contact with relief agencies, especially the Red Cross to find safe corridors in order to deliver supplies to the Yemenis and hospitals,’ he said.
Asked to comment on reports that the Pakistani parliament has decided to take a neutral stance towards what is happening in Yemen and to what extent this decision would affect the coalition forces, Asiri said the Pakistani government has not announced this position officially, noting that the Pakistani army is known of its skillfulness, efficiency and capability. So, once it joins the coalition, it would be a credit, he said, adding that this would not degrade the skillfulness of the other members of the coalition.
Asked to cast light on the GCC version of a draft resolution currently being discussed at the UN Security Council regardless of the Russian view point, Asri stated that the political and military actions are two twins of the same objective: the security and safety of Yemen and Yemeni citizen. He added that the military operations originated from a political decision adopted by the coalition constituent countries upon a request by the Yemeni legitimate government. However, the militias and their supporters rejected to succumb to the world will and respect the efforts of peace-loving countries and opted to use the military force on the ground, Asiri said.
Asked to confirm whether the Yemeni deposed president Ali Abdullah Saleh is himself a military target, Asiri denied that the operation is targeting persons rather than military targets which will help to achieve the goals prescribed from the beginning.
Read more on this topic:
- Intervention in Yemen: An Update from Saudi Ambassador Adel Al-Jubeir
- Assessing the Chaos in Yemen – Part 1 – Sharp
- Assessing the Chaos in Yemen – Part 2 – Des Roches
- Assessing the Chaos in Yemen – Part 3 – Musawa
- Assessing the Chaos in Yemen – Part 4 – Hamdani
- Assessing the Chaos in Yemen – Part 5 – Q and A
- Operation “Decisive Storm” – Day 15 Military Briefing – SUSRIS – Apr 9, 2015
- Operation “Decisive Storm” – Day 14 Military Briefing – SUSRIS – Apr 8, 2015
- Operation “Decisive Storm” – Day 13 Military Briefing – SUSRIS – Apr 7, 2015
- Operation “Decisive Storm” – Day 12 Military Briefing – SUSRIS – Apr 6, 2015
- Operation “Decisive Storm” – Day 11 Military Briefing – SUSRIS – Apr 5, 2015
- Operation “Decisive Storm” – Day 10 Military Briefing – SUSRIS – Apr 4, 2015
- Operation “Decisive Storm” – Day 9 Military Briefing – SUSRIS – Apr 3, 2015
- Intervention in Yemen: An Update from Saudi Ambassador Adel Al- Jubeir – SUSRIS – Apr 3, 2014
- Operation “Decisive Storm: – Day 8 – Military Briefing – SUSRIS – Apr 2, 2015
- Commentary | Waste of Yemeni Talent – Mulhim – SUSRIS – Apr 2, 2015
- Operation “Decisive Storm” – Day 7 Military Briefing – SUSRIS – Apr 2, 2015
- Operation “Decisive Storm” – Day 6 Military Briefing – SUSRIS – Apr 1, 2015
- Foreign Minister in Major Address at Majlis Al-Shura – SUSRIS – Apr 1, 2015
- FocusKSA | Intervention in Yemen: A Conversation with Dr. Joseph Kechichian (Transcript) – SUSRIS – Mar 30, 2015
- Amb Al-Jubeir Meet the Press Interview – Yemen Campaign [Transcript] – SUSRIS – Mar 30, 2015
- Threat of ground incursion from Saudi Arabia looms over Yemen – CNN – Mar 29, 2015
- 26th Arab Summit | Final Communique – SUSRIS – Mar 29, 2015
- FocusKSA | Intervention in Yemen: A Conversation with Dr. Theodore Karasik (Transcript) – SUSRIS – Mar 29, 2015
- FocusKSA | Intervention in Yemen: A Conversation with David Des Roches (Transcript) – SUSRIS – Mar 28, 2015
- Operation “Decisive Storm” – Day 3 Military Briefing – SUSRIS – Mar 28, 2015
- King Salman Addresses the Arab Storm – SUSRIS – Mar 28, 2015
- FocusKSA – Operation “Decisive Storm”: Three Views (Video) – SUSRIS – Mar 28, 2015
- FocusKSA – Dr. Theodore Karasik – Intervention in Yemen (Video) – SUSRIS – Mar 27, 2015
- FocusKSA – Dr. Joseph Kechichian – Intervention in Yemen (Video) – SUSRIS – Mar 27, 2015
- FocusKSA – Prof. David Des Roches – Intervention in Yemen (Video) – SUSRIS – Mar 27, 2015
- Saudi-led Forces Continue Air Strikes Against Houthi Militias – SUSRIS – Mar 27, 2015
- Saudi General Says Operation “Decisive Storm” Phase 1 Goals Achieved – SUSRIS – Mar 27, 2015
- Operations to continue until achieved – Arab News – Mar 27, 2015
- Amb Al-Jubeir Interview – Yemen Campaign (Transcript) – SUSRIS – Mar 27, 2015
- Saudi Ambassador to U.S. won’t rule out building nukes – CNN Video – Mar 27, 2015
- Statement by Saudi Ambassador Al-Jubeir on Military Operations in Yemen [Transcript] – SUSRIS – Mar 26, 2015
- America, Saudi Arabia and the Strategic Importance of Yemen – Cordesman – SUSRIS – Mar 26, 2015
- Arab Foreign Ministers Hold Summit Preparatory Meeting – SUSRIS – Mar 26, 2015
- For the Record | US Statement on the Situation in Yemen – SUSRIS – March 26, 2015
- Saudi Leaders at Military Command Center in Photos – SUSRIS – March 26, 2015
- Saudis, Partners Act to Recover Yemen From a “Dark Tunnel” – SUSRIS – Mar 25, 2015
- Special Report | Crisis in Yemen – Saudi Arabia Strikes – SUSRIS – Mar 25, 2015
- SUSRIS Special Section – Turmoil in Yemen-2015