Related Special Sections
At the conclusion of day 15 (April 9th) of the military campaign in Yemen (Operation “Decisive Storm”) Coalition Forces’ spokesman Saudi Brig. Gen Ahmed Asiri provided a briefing on developments. Here is a report from SPA along with a link to General Asiri’s (video) interview with CNN. [Note: Operation “Decisive Storm” is also called “Determination Storm” in some translations.]
Brig. Gen. Ahmed Asiri Says, in today’s briefing, that Air Operations Focused on Houthi Militias, Their Loyalists
Riyadh, Jumada II 20, 1436, Apr 9, 2015, SPA — Brig. Gen. Ahmed bin Hasan Asiri, consultant at the minister of defense’s office and spokesman of the Coalition Forces, said that the operations of the coalition forces are currently focused on the air operations, stressing that the goals are being clearly achieved.
In his daily press briefing held today at Riyadh Airbase, Brig. Asiri said that a methodology of action focused on elements of the Yemeni rebel army forces supporting Houthi militias against the legitimacy, pointing out that this type of action requires accurate identification and definition of objects.
Brig. Asiri said that the pace of action in Aden against the Houthi militias is varying from day to day because these ‘isolated’ elements in Aden are moving in response to the air strikes of the coalition forces. The militias moved from Dalea to Shabwa, for instance, and existing in small groups in Ateq, he disclosed.
Asiri added that these elements are trying to achieve a media victory on the scene, while the air operations targeted the Houthi militias and their loyalists of the Yemeni rebel forces against the legitimacy. The Houthi militias are storing ammunition and vehicles in populated sites with complicity of some tribal communities, he said.
Brigadier General Ahmed Asiri was interviewed by CNN reporter Becky Anderson.
Click here for post with embedded video.
Asiri said that the air operations targeted today some brigades supporting the Houthi militias, including 19th, 22nd, 21st and 33rd Brigades in Bijan, Taiz and Shabwa respectively, pointing out that the coalition worked to cut communications between Sana’a and the northern regions of Yemen, particularly in Saada in addition to some caves that were used to store ammunition.
Asiri stressed that the operations also targeted ammunition stores scattering in Yemen in addition to the Yemeni rebel gatherings against the legitimacy.
In response to a question on whether the loyalists of former Yemeni president Ali Abdullah Saleh and the Houthis were able to drag the coalition forces to transfer the fighting inside cities, Asiri commented that moving into cities and taking refuge inside homes and using them as deterrent weapons is a basic tactic of militias anywhere to show the world that their enemies are targeting civilians and innocent people at their quiet homes.
On the remarks delivered by U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry that Iran’s supplies and assistance to Houthi militia’s has never stopped, Asiri said Kerry’s statement is comprehensive and not stating the duration of the Iranian aid to Houthi militias, which as we know goes back to even more than 15 years. However, Kerry did not specify whether he was referring to the period before or current operation. Asiri added that the work is complimentary among the members of the coalition as all countries are taking part, each with its available capability.
Asked to comment on Iran’s ‘extraordinary’ support for Houthi militias vis-a-vis the world consensus in support of the determination storm operation, Asiri recalled that the Yemeni legitimate government has appealed to the Arab and Islamic nations as well as the world community to dispel the Houthis, who seized the legitimate power in Sanaa, from kidnapping the country, its people and government, receiving unprecedented support of peace-loving countries.
He added that it is also obvious that non-peace-loving powers stand by the side of their pairs, noting that when the militias dared to dismantle the state of Yemen, terrorist elements, including Al-Qaeda which is seen apparently active in Yemen today, came up high.
He expressed belief that all world community is interested in a safe and stable Yemen, referring to the geographical site of the country as controller of Bab Al-Mandab strait, a crucial world waterway at the southern exit/entry of the Red Sea.
Brig. Gen. Ahmed Asiri has become the face of the daily Saudi military press briefing. (SPA)
Asked how the coalition forces are planning to close the way before the current movements of Houthi militias from place to place, and to pinpoint the location of Al-Qaeda as regards Shabwa, Asiri said the movement of the militias is now crippled in comparison to that at the beginning of the storm, describing the movement now as ‘isolated’ and that their storming the Yemeni city of Ebb today is part of the same propaganda scenario of Aden, aiming at terrifying the innocent population, and triggering chaos.
He added that TV stations, were, as everybody knows, robbed of their capabilities because the militias turned to be mere bands who lack a leadership, command or control or ability to provide its cut-off segments with supplies of any kind of logistics, a development Asiri described as a sign of good omen bringing them nearer to their fate.
Asked to cast light on sending humanitarian assistance through boats or vessels to the needy inside Aden, Asiri said the coalition forces yesterday announced that the Red Cross has reached, but remained stranded at, the port of Aden due to deteriorating security situation around the port, hindering them from reaching the city. He said the coalition forces is in contact with them to guarantee the delivery of medical support and medical equipment to reach hospitals inside Aden. He concluded that ’till now, we could not guarantee their safe departure of the port area, but are working hard to overcome this problem soon’.
Read more on this topic:
- Intervention in Yemen: An Update from Saudi Ambassador Adel Al-Jubeir
- Assessing the Chaos in Yemen – Part 1 – Sharp
- Assessing the Chaos in Yemen – Part 2 – Des Roches
- Assessing the Chaos in Yemen – Part 3 – Musawa
- Assessing the Chaos in Yemen – Part 4 – Hamdani
- Assessing the Chaos in Yemen – Part 5 – Q and A
- Operation “Decisive Storm” – Day 14 Military Briefing – SUSRIS – Apr 8, 2015
- Operation “Decisive Storm” – Day 13 Military Briefing – SUSRIS – Apr 7, 2015
- Operation “Decisive Storm” – Day 12 Military Briefing – SUSRIS – Apr 6, 2015
- Operation “Decisive Storm” – Day 11 Military Briefing – SUSRIS – Apr 5, 2015
- Operation “Decisive Storm” – Day 10 Military Briefing – SUSRIS – Apr 4, 2015
- Operation “Decisive Storm” – Day 9 Military Briefing – SUSRIS – Apr 3, 2015
- Intervention in Yemen: An Update from Saudi Ambassador Adel Al- Jubeir – SUSRIS – Apr 3, 2014
- Operation “Decisive Storm: – Day 8 – Military Briefing – SUSRIS – Apr 2, 2015
- Commentary | Waste of Yemeni Talent – Mulhim – SUSRIS – Apr 2, 2015
- Operation “Decisive Storm” – Day 7 Military Briefing – SUSRIS – Apr 2, 2015
- Operation “Decisive Storm” – Day 6 Military Briefing – SUSRIS – Apr 1, 2015
- Foreign Minister in Major Address at Majlis Al-Shura – SUSRIS – Apr 1, 2015
- FocusKSA | Intervention in Yemen: A Conversation with Dr. Joseph Kechichian (Transcript) – SUSRIS – Mar 30, 2015
- Amb Al-Jubeir Meet the Press Interview – Yemen Campaign [Transcript] – SUSRIS – Mar 30, 2015
- Threat of ground incursion from Saudi Arabia looms over Yemen – CNN – Mar 29, 2015
- 26th Arab Summit | Final Communique – SUSRIS – Mar 29, 2015
- FocusKSA | Intervention in Yemen: A Conversation with Dr. Theodore Karasik (Transcript) – SUSRIS – Mar 29, 2015
- FocusKSA | Intervention in Yemen: A Conversation with David Des Roches (Transcript) – SUSRIS – Mar 28, 2015
- Operation “Decisive Storm” – Day 3 Military Briefing – SUSRIS – Mar 28, 2015
- King Salman Addresses the Arab Storm – SUSRIS – Mar 28, 2015
- FocusKSA – Operation “Decisive Storm”: Three Views (Video) – SUSRIS – Mar 28, 2015
- FocusKSA – Dr. Theodore Karasik – Intervention in Yemen (Video) – SUSRIS – Mar 27, 2015
- FocusKSA – Dr. Joseph Kechichian – Intervention in Yemen (Video) – SUSRIS – Mar 27, 2015
- FocusKSA – Prof. David Des Roches – Intervention in Yemen (Video) – SUSRIS – Mar 27, 2015
- Saudi-led Forces Continue Air Strikes Against Houthi Militias – SUSRIS – Mar 27, 2015
- Saudi General Says Operation “Decisive Storm” Phase 1 Goals Achieved – SUSRIS – Mar 27, 2015
- Operations to continue until achieved – Arab News – Mar 27, 2015
- Amb Al-Jubeir Interview – Yemen Campaign (Transcript) – SUSRIS – Mar 27, 2015
- Saudi Ambassador to U.S. won’t rule out building nukes – CNN Video – Mar 27, 2015
- Statement by Saudi Ambassador Al-Jubeir on Military Operations in Yemen [Transcript] – SUSRIS – Mar 26, 2015
- America, Saudi Arabia and the Strategic Importance of Yemen – Cordesman – SUSRIS – Mar 26, 2015
- Arab Foreign Ministers Hold Summit Preparatory Meeting – SUSRIS – Mar 26, 2015
- For the Record | US Statement on the Situation in Yemen – SUSRIS – March 26, 2015
- Saudi Leaders at Military Command Center in Photos – SUSRIS – March 26, 2015
- Saudis, Partners Act to Recover Yemen From a “Dark Tunnel” – SUSRIS – Mar 25, 2015
- Special Report | Crisis in Yemen – Saudi Arabia Strikes – SUSRIS – Mar 25, 2015
- SUSRIS Special Section – Turmoil in Yemen-2015